Saturday, July 6, 2013

Farmers Must Keep Accurate Records to Report Rain, Flooding Losses

News from the USDA:

The USDA Farm Service Agency is urging all farmers affected by excessive rain to keep records and report losses to their local Farm Service Agency office.

The FSA will use damage reports to estimate overall financial loss from recent overabundance of rain. FSA will continue working with state and local officials and federal officials to ensure people have the necessary resources to recover from the flooding and rain.

Producers who purchased 2013 NAP (Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program) coverage and have experienced crop losses, you should immediately file a notice of loss and 2013 FSA-578 Acreage Report with their office. The deadline to file a notice of loss is 15 days from the date of the disaster or when the loss becomes apparent.

DO NOT destroy any crop acreage until you have notified FSA and have requested an appraisal on your 2013 un-harvested crop acres.

To complete the loss claim, producers must provide Farm Service Agency officials with records of the 2013 harvested production. After the appraisal and harvest ends, producers will apply for payment. Anyone with crop insurance should be sure to contact your local crop insurance agent as soon as possible to notify them of possible claims. 

Other items that must be reported if there are losses due to flooding are any crop or agriculture building damage, livestock loss or forested land damage, due to flooding. FSA will provide information if assistance for these losses becomes available.  

Go to and click on your county to find your local Farm Service Agency office.

No comments:

Post a Comment